Friday, January 7, 2011
The Power of Kindness
One day, a poor boy who was selling goods from door to door to pay his way through school, found he had only one thin dime left, and he was hungry. He decided he would ask for a meal at the next house. However, he lost his nerve when a lovely young woman opened the door.
Instead of a meal, he asked for a drink of water. She thought he looked hungry and so she brought him a large glass of milk. He drank it slowly, and then asked, "How much do I owe you?"
"You don't owe me anything," she replied. "Mother has taught us never to accept pay for a kindness." He said, "Then I thank you from my heart." As Howard Kelly left that house, he not only felt stronger physically, but his faith in God and man was strengthened also. He had been ready to give up and quit.
Years later, that young woman became critically ill. The local doctors were baffled. They finally sent her to the big city, where they called in specialists to study her rare disease.
Dr. Howard Kelly* was called in for the consultation. When he heard the name of the town she came from, he went down the hall of the hospital to her room. Dressed in his doctor's gown, he went in to see her. He recognized her at once. He went back to the consultation room determined to do his best to save her life. From that day, he gave special attention to the case.
After a long struggle, the battle was won. Dr. Kelly requested from the business office to pass the final billing to him for approval. He looked at it, then wrote something on the edge, and the bill was sent to her room. She feared to open it, for she was sure it would take the rest of her life to pay for it all. Finally, she looked, and something caught her attention on the side of the bill. She read these words:
"PAID IN FULL WITH ONE GLASS OF MILK..."
Dr. Howard Kelly
*Dr. Howard Kelly was a distinguished physician who, in 1895, founded the Johns Hopkins Division of GynecologicOncology at Johns Hopkins University. According to Dr. Kelly's biographer, Audrey Davis, the doctor was on a walking trip through Northern Pennsylvania one spring day when he stopped by a farm house for a drink of water.
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (67)
- ► 2012 (151)
- Givenchy 2011 Spring Summer Collection Naïvement C...
- Most Snail Recovery Cream
- Fueki cleansing Cream
- Kit Chan's latest CD - 重译！
- Hydraessence sheer tint lip balm from Redearth
- Kueh Lapis
- Sephora Ion Singapore's event!
- Ipsa face color palette
- Michael Kors Rollerball
- MAC Wonder Women Collection Spring 2011
- Coffret D'Or 2011 Spring eyeshadow
- My latest favorite fragrance - Jo Malone
- RMK Spring Shimmer 2011 S/S Collection
- Majolica Majorca 2011 Spring Collection - Sugary T...
- Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm...
- Kate Spring 2011 makeup collection
- Anna Sui - Shine like an actress!
- The Power of Kindness
- Benefit Spring 2011 collection - Bella Bamba
- MAC Jeanius collection 2011
- Bobbi Brown Pretty Powerful Collection
- Kiss Me Heroine Eyelash Fixer
- Diet Coke Nails Inc
- Happy New Year 2011!
- ▼ January (24)
- ► 2010 (291)
- ► 2009 (147)
- ► 2008 (129)